*If you are not a Canadian citizen and new to Saskatoon Public Schools, you will need to register at the Newcomer Student Centre (NSC).
Who can access publicly funded education in Saskatchewan?
Students whose parents are permanent residents or have a valid study or work permit can register in our schools.
Parents holding a valid study permit must study for at least one year and be registered in a recognized full-time degree or diploma program other than ESL (English as a Second Language).
Students must live with parent(s) in Saskatoon and be eligible to study at the time of registration. (See The Education Act (1995), s. 142 (1), s. 173 (1), Education Regulations (2019), s. 15 (2)).
International tuition-paying students
If you are not eligible for publicly funded education in Saskatchewan, you may be able to register your child with tuition fees. Starting in September 2021, Saskatoon Public Schools will offer this option to a limited number of applicants. More information is available here.
Registration process for eligible non-Canadians
Non-Canadian students (or children of non-Canadian parents) need to register through the Newcomer Student Centre so that immigration documents can be reviewed and eligibility for publicly funded education in Saskatoon can be determined.
Children can be registered for school once the family is living in Saskatoon and immigration status has been secured. A parent or legal guardian and the student(s) are required at the time of registration.
Documents required for registration
- Recent, dated documentation to confirm primary place of residence is in Saskatoon. One of the following documents may be used:
Student's immigration documentProof of immigration status in Canada for parent(s):
- Signed mortgage, rental or lease agreement
- a Saskatchewan driver's license
- a utility bill (water, gas, energy, cable TV)
- Confirmation of permanent residence (landing paper) or permanent resident card OR
- Parent's work or study permit (Confirmation of enrollment in post-secondary program is required for study permit holders)