Skip to main content
Saskatoon Public Schools
Inspiring Learning
Frequently Asked Questions

How old does my child have to be to attend kindergarten?

Registration begins in January for the next school year. Children must be five years old by January 31 of the school year they will be attending kindergarten. For example, if your child will be five years old by January 31, 2022, they can start kindergarten in the fall of 2021.


When should I register my child for kindergarten?

You can register your child beginning in January of the school year your child will be attending kindergarten. Call or visit your local public school. Many of our schools offer parent information evenings and tours in January each year. Our principals are always available to answer any questions you may have about registration. You are welcome to call or drop into any of our schools at any time. We'd love to see you!
Later in the spring, many schools offer orientation sessions and a "sneak peek" at kindergarten for families and their children. This is a wonderful opportunity for children to explore their new classroom and for parents to begin their relationship with their kindergarten teacher and staff at the school.


Does Saskatoon Public Schools have French immersion kindergarten?

Yes. Eight of our elementary schools offer French immersion. French is the language of instruction and communication in the school setting. Our French Immersion program is structured so that children learn French and English skills and follow the same curricula as all other students in the province. 

Schools that offer dual English French immersion programs include:

Yes. Saskatoon Public Schools offers half-day, everyday and full-day, every-other-day kindergarten programs. Fourteen schools offer full-day, everyday kindergarten. Kindergarten is also offered through our French Immersion, Nehiyawiwin Cree Language and Culture, and Michif Early Learning programs. For more information on all of our kindergarten programs, please click here.


How do I register at Saskatoon Public Schools?

Students are registered at the school in their neighbourhood. Registration forms are available on our Registration Information page, at the school or on the school's website. We offer free public education for all students. Our elementary schools offer kindergarten to Grade 8 for ages 5 to 13. Our high schools (collegiates) offer Grades 9 to 12 for ages 14 to 21.
Students who are new to Saskatoon Public Schools, and who do not speak English as their first language, should register through our Newcomer Student Centre, located at 310 21st Street East, in downtown Saskatoon. Please call 306-683-8400 for an appointment.
Students can register at any time during the school year (September to June). When you enroll your children, you must provide the school principal with documentation that verifies their age. One of the following documents may be used:
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Passport
  • Status card.
For children who have moved from another school, it is a good idea to bring any documents from their last school (e.g., report cards) that will help staff determine in what grade to place them. A student's language ability, age, prior schooling and future goals are considered when determining placement in schools. Some students, whose first language is not English, may need help with English as an Additional Language (EAL). Staff at our Newcomer Student Centre will determine if support is needed and make the necessary arrangements. The individual school principal is responsible for the decision on the admission of students to schools.


What if I am a permanent resident?

If your family has been granted a confirmation of permanent residence, your children can register in our schools. Please bring your documentation from Citizen and Immigration Canada to our Newcomer Student Centre when registering.


What if I am in Canada on a study or work permit?

If you have entered Canada on either a study (full-time studies only) or a work permit, you may register your children in our schools without having to pay a tuition fee. Please bring your documentation (study or work permit) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to your appointment at our Newcomer Student Centre. Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act allows students who are not Canadian citizens and are accompanying their parents who have study or work permits, to attend our schools.

Study permits for parents will be accepted only if the following criteria are met:
  • The parents' study is for at least one year, and
  • The area of study is more substantial than English alone. This means if parents are taking only English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes, their children are not eligible to enroll in Saskatoon Public Schools at this time.

What if I am in Canada as a visitor?

If you have been issued a visitor record by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, your children are not eligible to enroll in Saskatoon Public Schools at this time.


Where can I get a copy of my high school transcript?

To receive your official high school transcript, please contact Student and Educator Services at the Ministry of Education in Regina. Information, as well as online ordering and payment service, is available on its website.


How much does a transcript cost?

The cost is $20 for five or fewer copies.


Can my transcript be mailed directly to the university/technical college?

Transcripts (2 copies) are automatically sent electronically on a business day by the Ministry of Education to the following institutions:
  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST – all four campuses)
  • University of Alberta.
All other transcripts must be sent through the mail or by expedited delivery if selected.


How does Saskatoon Public Schools meet my child's special needs?

Intensive Supports funding is provided by the Ministry of Education for students receiving intensive educational programs and supports who are identified as having a:
  • Hearing impairment
  • Intellectual disability
  • Mental health impairment
  • Multiple disability
  • Orthopedic disability
  • Pervasive development disorder
  • Physical health impairment
  • Prenatal health impairment
  • Prenatal substance exposure
  • Substance-related disorder
  • Visual impairment
  • Other diagnosed impairment or disorder.
For more information on our Special Education Programs, please click here.


Are there services offered at the preschool level for students with intensive needs?

Yes. The research is clear that early intervention is very beneficial for children with disabilities, and Saskatoon Public Schools works with other agencies to provide a variety of services for our preschool students. We have two congregated preschools and a Therapeutic Preschool. In addition, we offer support in community preschools through our Preschool Support Program, where students with disabilities are provided with an Educational Assistant and consultative support.


Who can we contact for more information about preschool students with intensive needs?  

Please call the Special Education office at 306-683-8332.


How do I rent a Saskatoon Public Schools Facility?

As a publicly funded organization and supporter of youth and community programs, Saskatoon Public Schools makes its property and facilities available for use by community or non-profit organizations, by our employees and by our partners in education. Information on renting a Saskatoon Public Schools facility can be found here.


Can I donate used technology to the school division? 

We recognize the importance of technology in our schools and its role in educating 21st century learners. That's why Saskatoon Public Schools ensures that all technology in the hands of our teachers and students is current, reliable and fully serviceable by our dedicated staff. As a result, we are constantly refreshing our equipment to ensure the same quality and abundance that you would find in any modern organization, and respectfully decline the offer of donated/used technology.

However, every few years, Saskatoon Public Schools finds itself in the same position as your organization, where we have equipment that is ready for replacement but still has some potential value for a charitable organization or environmentally friendly recycling. If you are interested in donating used technology, please click here for more information on electronic waste and how to dispose of it in an ethical, environmentally friendly manner.