Below are examples of how Student Community Councils have supported school activities at our schools.
École Alvin Buckwold School
- Co-hosted Meet the Teacher night.
- Provided free babysitting during parent/teacher interviews.
- Sponsored a free movie night for families.
- Supported Winter Carnival Night.
- Hosted a Welcome Back barbecue to kick off the school year.
- Organized Book and a Bagel and Math and Muffin initiatives.
- Organized pizza supper and family literacy nights.
- Worked with the School Travel Plan team and In Motion.
- Obtained pedometers from ParticipAction for the entire school.
- Funded and co‐hosted school participation in Bridge City Boogie for students, siblings, parents and staff.
Buena Vista School
- Encouraged participation in school-wide celebrations by hosting contest submissions.
- Supported a Rock and Curl activity hosted by Rock Solid Productions.
- Completed a grant application and strategized a plan for a mural project on the school playground.
- Hosted Jody Carrington, a child psychologist, who provided advice on parenting and relationships.
- Contributed monthly to the school newsletter and phonics resources for the school-teacher team.
Dr. John G. Egnatoff
- Organized a family virtual Welcome Back event in September and presentation on anxiety.
- Supported math manipulatives, Willow books, technology in classrooms, and recess and physical education equipment.
École Dundonald School
- Hosted a pancake breakfast to welcome in the new school year, an annual multicultural potluck supper, an online safety information night led by students, Saskatoon Police and Saskatoon Public Schools leaders, and an annual year-end picnic.
Hugh Cairns V.C. School
- Assisted in organizing the school's 50th anniversary celebrations, meet the staff barbecue, family dance and literacy events, a math information night, a kindness play at Persephone Theatre and nutritious snacks for students.
- Organized a Pancake breakfast in September and a family Halloween dance in October.
- Supported parent information nights (e.g., math, teenage brain video presentation, internet safety).
- Provided volunteers for a welcoming committee for families new to Canada to help them transition to the school community.
École Lakeview School
- Fostered parent/teacher engagement with presentation by Debbie Pushor.
- Worked with staff to create a school-wide winter festival.
- Invited families to a Math Fun Night where parents were exposed to math exercises that their children perform in class.
- SCC member worked in classrooms to share her artistic talents with students and to promote conservation efforts.
- Promoted literacy through a school-wide book and novel exchange.
Lester B. Pearson School
- Partnered with the staff strategic committee to support Math and a Muffin (every
second month) and Book and a Bagel (every
- Provided input and financial support for family math activity buckets, which are signed out by families.
- Assisted with organizing a two-part technology training session for parents.
- Sponsored a smoke-free day at the school.
- Supported the annual Harvest Fair and a breakfast for school and community partners.
- Provided funding for school community members to attend a Literacy Conference and to support a First Nations Feast at the school.
Vincent Massey School
- Supported the track and field barbecue.
- Set up a table at the learning fair.
- Provided support to SCC members to attend the following conferences: Safe Schools, Literacy for Life, and Community School.
- Provided leadership and funds for a family math evening.
- Supported a Child Find clinic.