The following students must register through the Newcomer Student Centre:
*Parents must have immigration status (COPR or work/study permit) and a permanent address in Saskatoon prior to registering their child for school.
- Students whose parents* are not Canadian citizens
- Students new to Saskatoon Public Schools who do not speak English as their first language, including First Nations, Inuit and Métis students.
Click here for a
to determine if you should register through the Newcomer Student Centre.
How to Register
To book a registration appointment* online, click
- If transferring a child from another Saskatchewan school division, including the Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division, contact the Newcomer Student Centre by phone at 306-683-8400) or by email.
- If registering a student for prekindergarten, please register online here or contact the school directly.
*A parent or legal guardian and student(s) six years and older are required to be present at the registration appointment.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
Please bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Student's immigration document
- Proof of parent's immigration status in Canada:
- Confirmation of permanent residence (landing paper or permanent residence card) OR
- Parent's work or study permit (confirmation of enrollment in a post-secondary program is required for study permit holders)
- Recent, dated documentation to confirm your permanent address in Saskatoon (e.g., signed mortgage, rental or lease agreement, utility bill, Saskatchewan driver's license)
- School transcripts (school records) for students age 14+ who will attend secondary school
- Any other relevant documents.
What Will Happen at Your Appointment
Once immigration status has been confirmed, we will:
- Introduce your family to our schools
- Help register your child for elementary or high school
- Assess your child's
English as an Additional Language (EAL)* skills (children six years and older)
- Recommend support and programming for children who need EAL services.
*If your child speaks a language other than English, staff at the Newcomer Student Centre will assess their level of English. This information will be sent to the school. The result will
not be used to place your child in a grade level; it will be used to decide how much additional support your child may need at school.
Where to Find Us
Newcomer Student Centre
310 21st Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1M7
Note: Parking may be limited due to construction in the downtown area during spring and summer. Please give yourself extra time to find parking.