Located at Montgomery School, ScienceTrek is a field-based science program created to inspire grade eight students to grow academically, socially, personally and culturally. ScienceTrek is highlighted by hands-on, out of school experiences intended to fuel a passion for science and learning. ScienceTrek promotes lifelong outdoor pursuits such as hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, camping and canoeing. The program helps to foster an understanding of the diversity of science and the impact of science on human culture and the environment.
More information is also available on the program's website ScienceTrek.ca or by downloading the program information sheet.
Please take a moment to take a read of our most common questions document below. Hopefully it will answer some of the questions you may have.General Questions about the Program.pdf
- Provide opportunities for students to develop awareness of and passion for science.
- Promote critical and creative thinking.
- Implement activities which provide for collaboration and cooperative learning.
- Build self-esteem, confidence, and leadership through team building exercises.
- Promote lifelong outdoor pursuits such as hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, camping and canoeing.
- Assist students to develop respect for self, peers, community and environment.
- Integrate core academic areas into the science program.
- Develop skills in hypothesizing, observing, recording, analyzing and presenting.
- Provide students with an accelerated science curriculum.
- Promote careers in science for females and males.
- Promote careers in science for all cultures.
- Foster an understanding of the diversity of science and the impact of science on human culture and the environment.
- Prepare students to meet the needs of an ever changing world.
- Promote community involvement, global citizenship, and stewardship of the environment.