We are a friendly, small school nestled in John Lake Park in Saskatoon's Avalon area. We have just the right number of students to be able to provide a full array of extra-curricular activities and programs, yet our class sizes are not too large. Our students are welcoming and accepting. There is a good feeling when you walk into John Lake School: a feeling of energy and community. John Lake is a great school!
What is special about John Lake?
- We are a safe and caring school. We believe that all students deserve a safe and happy learning environment. Our school fosters and promotes a sense of community: working together, supporting one another, and acceptance.
- RRC: We emphasize Respect and Responsibility and Challenge all students to do their best.
- We place Literacy and Mathematics at the top of our academic priorities. John Lake students have performed well on reading assessments. We continue to focus on teaching mathematics through experiential learning and practical experiences.
- We embrace our community. Arts education and language programs (music, dance, drama and visual arts) are woven into all subject areas, and through the teaching of language and culture classes (K-8) we explore our global community and incorporate values of acceptance and cooperation.
- We engage our students in their learning. Our dedicated team of educators provides interesting and engaging learning opportunities for our students.
- We also believe that extracurricular programs are important in developing interests and talents. We offer a junior choir program, environment club, Student Leadership Council (over 50 students), student travel opportunities, skipping club, and many sports teams -- including volleyball, basketball, track, indoor relays, etc.
- Student Leadership - we believe that our students are leaders in the making. As such, we provide genuine leadership opportunities for our students to help them develop to their full potential. Our senior students plan and organize key activities in our school - e.g., Family Literacy Day (Bring a Book to the Lake), Winter Fest, charity drives, school assemblies, and a variety of school-wide In Motion activities.
- Our school is also home to daycare and pre-school programs run by the Boys and Girls Club of Saskatoon. We have children in our school ranging from 18 months old to Grade 8.
- Our school is designed to ensure safety and to accommodate the needs of preschool, primary, and middle years students. John Lake School has two wings: preschool to Grade 4, and Grades 4 to 8. The primary and middle years students enjoy large, separate play areas with modern play structures and plenty of park space to explore.