Are you looking for a mid-sized elementary school with a stellar reputation for offering strong academic and diverse extracurricular programs, exemplary student-teacher relationships and outstanding community spirit?
Does your dream for your child include:
- opportunities for expression in the visual and performing arts, athletics and technology,
- experiential learning in and outside school,
- overnight camps,
- student leadership, and
- a second language.
All offered in a safe, inviting learning environment where differences are honoured and risk taking is encouraged?
Proudly bearing the name of local hero Sergeant Hugh Cairns V.C., Hugh Cairns V.C. School is celebrating 50 years of academic excellence and community spirit. HCVC families speak proudly of their school. It is a great place to be. It is a school highly respected for its learning program and the individual care offered to the 21st century learner. Our school offers busy parents a mosaic of opportunities in which to be involved. Our physical learning environment is second to none, with recent renovations our classrooms, Learning Resource Centre (LRC), gym and improvements made to our school's landscaping. Our students reflect our home and school partnerships forged to develop each child's confidence, competence and sense of contribution. In annual student surveys, our Grades 5 to 8 students report liking their school, feeling respected by their teachers, supported and engaged in their learning, involved in daily physical activity, and having a sense of well-being -- at levels above the Canadian norms.
Our outstanding neighbourhood school is home to:
- Discovery Preschool for 3 and 4-year olds
- Full-day, alternate day Kindergarten program
- Grades 1 through 8 classrooms with regular, enriched and adapted programming
- an LRC with elementary, young adult and parent collections
- Kindergarten to Grade 5 Music, and Grades 6 to 8 Band instruction with a music/band specialist
- A daily, well-supervised lunch room
- A Before and After School Program;
- An outdoor classroom designed and built by parents and students
- An Intermediate Functional Life Skills Program
- A School Community Council and Parent Council
- A wide variety of extracurricular activities for students of all ages
Hugh Cairns V.C. School - Happy Children, Vibrant Community- Join Us!