On February 23, 2024,
we were informed by the Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation (STF) that teachers will be withdrawing noon supervision and support for extracurricular activities at all schools in Saskatoon on Monday, February 26, 2024.
As a result of the withdrawal of noon supervision on Monday, the school division cannot ensure the safety of students during lunch because teachers will not be available for lunch supervision. Every day, 371 teachers supervise during the lunch period in Saskatoon Public Schools and without teachers providing supervisory coverage, schools will be closed during the lunch period and students must go home for lunch.
For Elementary Schools
All elementary schools will be closed at lunch.
- School lunch period schedules have been adjusted to ensure student safety. Individual school schedules have been shared with parents, caregivers and families in letters sent out on Friday, February 23, 2024.
- Students that are currently bused to school, will be bused home at lunch unless alternate arrangements have been made by parents, caregivers and families.
THERE WILL BE NO BUS SERVICE AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY.
- Half-day prekindergarten and half-day kindergarten programming will continue. These classes may see slight changes to the schedule.
- Before and after school programs located in the school will continue to operate on Monday, February 26, 2024.
There are two learning options for elementary students and families in the afternoons:
- Students are welcome to return to school after lunch, at the scheduled time, for in-school learning. It is very important that students do not return to school prior to the time identified in the schedules that were shared with families as there will be no supervision and the school will be closed.
- If students were transported home at lunch by bus or cab, there will be no transportation provided to return them to school for the afternoon.
- As stated above, there will be no after school buses or cabs provided to return students home at the end of the school day.
- Parents, caregivers and families will have to return students to school themselves if they want them to participate in in-school learning during the afternoon.
- Parents, caregivers and families will also have to pick students up after school.
- Students that stay home for the afternoon. Students who stay at home for the afternoon will provided with take-home learning materials and resources (paper or online through Edsby) to complete at home.
- If a student is staying home for the afternoon, parents should contact the school or enter the student as parent excused.
Withdrawal of support for extracurricular activities means
the following activities will be cancelled for Monday, February 26, 2024:
- On Monday, February 26, 2024, all collegiates will implement their regular shortened Thursday schedule.
- Students will be dismissed at the regular shortened Thursday schedule time in all collegiates.
- Students will have the opportunity to return to school in the afternoon for learning support. During this learning support period, teachers will be available to support learning through Edsby or in-person if students choose to return to the school.
- Students many also choose to stay home for the afternoon and work on assigned materials.
- All Saskatchewan High School Athletics Association (SHSAA) activities
- All athletic practices and games
- All musicals, concerts or theatre performances
- Any school clubs that operate as extracurricular activities.
As a school division, we respect the collective bargaining process. Our number one priority is the safety of our students and maintaining a focus on student learning. We are committed to keeping parents, caregivers and families informed of future job action and changes to school operations.
Please watch for ongoing communication through:
- Email and letters from the school via School Messenger
- Updates to our division website and school websites
- Saskatoon Public Schools' social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)