Built in 2001, Silverspring School is located in Saskatoon's northeast. Our school is situated on 34 unique acres of land preserved by environmentalists to conserve endangered fescue grassland. Dubbed the city's Natural Grassland area, this area boasts a rich ecological history of plant and animal life unique to the prairies. The grasslands provide a living laboratory for environmental education and interpretation. Our school playground sits adjacent to Saskatoon's Forestry Farm Park and Zoo, affording our students the fortunate opportunity to embrace nature in their own backyard!
Our school was designed with the learner in mind to encourage optimum learning and student engagement. The following are a few of our facility's highlights:
- a spacious invitational foyer
- large classrooms that are brightly lit by an abundance of natural light
- two gymnasiums, including one that is the largest elementary gymnasium in Saskatoon
- all classrooms are equipped with a sound field system
- every child has a locker
- a beautiful prairie garden created by students, teachers and parents adorns the front of our school
- our garden is bursting with native prairie plants and shrubs that can be found on the grassland, and provides students with an outdoor classroom and opportunities to connect with nature.
Silverspring School is home to a kindergarten to Grade 8 French Immersion program that began in September 2019, alongside the school’s established English program. The French Immersion program serves the neighbourhoods of Aspen Ridge, Evergreen, Silverspring and Willowgrove.
Housed within our school, the Cooperative Preschool contributes wonderfully to Silverspring's feeling of family.
Silverspring is culturally diverse and welcomes all students -- of every culture and faith. We have developed strong partnerships with the Prairie Spring Care Home, University of Saskatchewan's College of Kinesiology and the University of Saskatchewan's Centre for Continuing Education.
Our students are encouraged to construct their meaning from learning and become active and engaged learners. Our teachers are exemplary and employ a high rigour of academic standards. We especially take pride in our two learning initiatives:
- Academic Literacy: the study of Reading Strategies
- Physical Literacy: the study of Health, Wellness and Fitness
Silverspring celebrates its distinction as a Nutrition Positive School, an In Motion School, and a Quality Daily Physical Education school. We are also a Destination Conservation School as our roots have always had an environmental focus. Silverspring is situated within close proximity to Saskatoon's Meewasin Trail (that meanders along the South Saskatchewan River) and is home to the University of Saskatchewan Grade 2 Grassland Initiative. We have an active School Community Council and Home and School that ensures school governance and student needs take precedence in all decision-making.
Silverspring is an exciting and vibrant school with the very best staff who work hard to provide a well-rounded education for children. We have so many learning opportunities that we would love to share with you. Please feel free to stop by for a tour. Our doors are always open!