École Silverspring School, built in 2001, is located in Saskatoon's northeast. We are situated on 34 acres of land preserved by environmentalists to conserve endangered fescue grassland. Dubbed the city's Natural Grassland area, it boasts a rich ecological history of plant and animal life unique to the prairies. The grasslands provide a living laboratory for environmental education. We are in close proximity to Saskatoon's Meewasin Trail, which meanders along the South Saskatchewan River. Our school playground and green space sit adjacent to Saskatoon's Forestry Farm Park and Zoo, affording our students the fortunate opportunity to embrace nature in their own backyard!
Our school was designed with our students in mind to encourage optimum learning and engagement. Here are a few highlights of our school.
- Our school is diverse and welcome to all students.
- We offer the choice of an English or French Immersion program.
- The French Immersion program serves the neighbourhoods of Aspen Ridge, Evergreen, Silverspring and Willowgrove. Bus transportation is available for French Immersion students residing outside the Silverspring area.
- We have a spacious, inviting foyer and interior with exceptional playgrounds, a tarmac and green space.
- We have large classrooms brightly lit by an abundance of natural light, as well as two gymnasiums, one of which is among the largest of Saskatoon's elementary schools.
- Our classrooms are equipped with a sound field system, and we have lockers for every child, entrance boot rooms and many washrooms.
- We offer many complimentary out-of-school excursions aligned with curricular outcomes, as well as a band program for students in grades 6 to 8.
- We have physical education and arts education specialists on staff.
- We provide noon-hour supervision to students from kindergarten to Grade 8.
- We are home to an outdoor rink, a beautiful prairie garden bursting with native plants and shrubs, and an outdoor classroom at the front of the school.
- We have an active
School Community Council and Home & School committee.
Our students are encouraged to construct meaning from learning and to become active learners. Our teachers are exemplary and employ a high rigour of academic standards. We take pride in our two main literacy initiatives:
Academic literacy: The study of oral language, reading, writing and numeracy.
Physical literacy: The study of health, wellness and fitness.
Housed within our school, the Silverspring Cooperative Preschool
contributes wonderfully to our feeling of family. We are an exciting and vibrant school and have many learning opportunities we would love to share with you. Please
to come by for a tour. Our doors are always open!