Bienvenue! Welcome to École River Heights School!
We are proud to provide quality educational opportunities for English students from preschool
to Grade 8 and for French Immersion
students from kindergarten
to Grade 8. Approximately 400 students attend our school. Our English students are drawn primarily from the River Heights area. Our French Immersion students are transported to our school by bus from the City Park, North Park, Brownell, Silverwood and Lawson Heights communities.
"Reaching Greater Heights" is our school's motto, and we strive to bring these words to life in various ways. Our school is known for its strong academic focus and for providing students with opportunities to grow in the areas of athletics, arts, citizenship and community. We value the importance of community at our school, and we work hard to ensure that students, families and staff feel a strong sense of belonging. We are a nutrition positive school, encouraging healthy eating and exercise by being in motion. Our school has a strong band program that commences in Grade 6, as well as arts and physical education programs.
We are also pleased to house a Before and After School Care program, which operates from 7:30 to 8:55 a.m. and from 3:20 to 5:45 p.m. For more information on this program, please call Ms. Kelly McCallen at 306-979-2066 or 306-251-1037.
We offer the following educational opportunities:
- Choice of English or French Immersion program, which includes bus transportation for French Immersion students residing outside the River Heights area
- Focus on oral proficiency in French Immersion
- Computer literacy
- Care partners where senior students are paired with junior students
- Science fair/heritage fair
- Out-of-school experiences aligned with curricular outcomes
- Fitness focus opportunities
- Arts exploration days
- Shared cultural experiences
- Band program (grades 6 to 8)
- Access to a teacher librarian and library technician, resource teachers, physical education specialists, school counsellor, psychologist, speech language pathologist and education assistants for special circumstances.
In addition to the regular program, students at École River Heights School are welcome to participate in a variety of extracurricular activities such as athletics (e.g., volleyball, basketball, indoor track, track and field, cross country), student leadership council, student librarian program, skipping club, Red Cross facilitators and jazz band.
Our school climate is also enhanced by:
- A safe, caring and accepting emphasis (i.e., co-constructed school-wide expectations and PBIS philosophy)
- Staff who are trained in the social thinking curricula
- Student voices in school programming and decisions
- A learning resource centre
- House leagues (grades 5 to 8)
- Hot lunches
- Our School Community Council
- Cultural programs
- A computer lab
- An enhanced playground facility
- An outdoor rink
- Close proximity to the South Saskatchewan River and Meewasin Trail
- Robert Hunter Park, which surrounds the school
- Noon lunch supervision for students from kindergarten to Grade 8.